Friday, October 7, 2022

October Journals




In October, I take journal writing up to a little more challenging level.

In September, I guide students word by word, using our word wall and short, phonetic words, to write a simple sentence. They learn so much in September from capitals, to periods, to spacing, to counting words. 

In October, I give them a sentence starter (with word wall words) and then they have to write the last word on their own.  I pick words in which we have learned at least the beginning and ending sounds for.  Some kids stop after the initial consonant.  Some kids have beginning and ending sounds, and some kids can do all sounds. 

I circulate giving feedback, and of course using Mr. Sketch scented markers to give a smiley face or star when I check it with specific feedback. The daily practice and feedback is crucial to helping our emerging writers feel confident! 

After about ten minutes, students share with a partner and give compliments to each other.  It's one of my favorite times of the school day.