Saturday, April 22, 2023

Mystery Readers


One of my favorite things to do to end the year is start Mystery Readers!  Long story short: family members sign up to read to the class and no one can know who it is, especially the child of the mystery reader.  In mid April, I send out a sign up sheet with one mystery reader per day.  If parents need flexible hours, I try and be very accomodating with their times.  It is a huge success and the kids absolutely love it!  Helpful hints:

  • Send an email reminder the day before with directions/reminders. 
  • If you have a window on the door, put a sign on the door reminding the mystery reader to knock and don't look in the window. (Some surprises have been spoiled by my little spies).
  • Ask parents to sign up with the book title ahead of time.  Unfortunately, there are "controversial" books that could cause problems, or some parents sign up with books that are way too long for the time block (i.e Yertle the Turtle).
  • Some of my colleagues encourage parents to do a craft or bring a treat that goes along with the book.  I don't do that, but they have success with it.
  • Have the child introduce their mystery reader to the class and show the reader to his/her seat. At the end, the child can call on kids to share their favorite part, and of course the child and the Mystery Reader share their favorite parts.
  • Take a photo and send it to the Mystery Reader.  I have seen many of my photos show up on parents' social media pages.  It is a special memory.

Happy Reading!!!