Sunday, January 7, 2024

Morning Meeting Game



Over break, I found this reel with a game I am exited to try with my kindergartners for morning meeting. Click the picture for the link. 

You can call it the Animal Game, Zoo Game, Habitat Game, etc.  The teacher shows her students six different motions for animals.   On the count of three everyone makes one of the motions.  Students who did the same motion as her are out.  The goal is to be the last one standing to win the game.  Simple and fun.

In reading the comments, I saw someone suggest teaching ASL for the animals, which I thought was a brilliant idea.  Kindergartners are fascinated with sign language.

There was some criticism in the comments that creating one winner isn't fair or this game isn't set up for kids with slow processing.  I think kids need to learn that they won't win every time, to be happy for your classmates, and that you won't be good at everything. If we never do things because it's not fair to every single student every single time, what exactly will we be doing?