Sunday, August 28, 2022

Starting Kindergarten with Pete the Cat



This is my 20th year in kindergarten, and I have always used the typical read alouds to start the year like The Kissing Hand, Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten, The Pigeon Goes to School, etc.  Last year, we really got into Pete the Cat mid year, so this year I have tried starting with it and I will probably continue until I retire. 

First, the kids love it and love to sing along and talk with the book, "GOODNESS NO!" they all say.  But what has been great is how Pete doesn't get upset over things.  He says things like "It's all good."  Fast forward to our first art project and one of my little girls made a mistake.  She looked at me and, as if on cue, said, "It's alllllllllll goooooood." Kindergartners often get upset over every little thing, so the theme of Pete will hopefully carry us through these first few months!

We read (and watched a video) for Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes.  Pete the Cat: I Love my White Shoes, and Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons